Welcome to The Faded Suitcase. Feel free to look around. Powered by Blogger.

Review: Billy Elliot on Broadway

>> Friday, December 19, 2008

Because I live so close to New York, I have been lucky enough to see a bunch of Broadway shows including Wicked, Avenue Q, Aida, Spring Awakening, Legally Blonde and Rent. Most recently, I saw Billy Elliot. It was probably my favorite or second favorite Broadway show, after Spring Awakening.

Normally after a Broadway show, I go home and download the music. With Billy Elliot, however, I felt that the dancing was a necessary component. Rather the dancing put the show over the top, left me and many others in the audience speechless. How did this 14 year old kid do that?

It's hard to believe David Alvarez, Billy, had only been dancing since he was eight and had little acting experience prior to this show. He held the entire stage with his voice and his dancing.

Other highlights included Carole Shelley's "We'd Go Dancing" and Frank Dolce's "Expressing Yourself." These songs were hilarious - gave the show an extra kick.

Elton John speaks on Billy Elliot: Link

Visit the Billy Elliot on Broadway homepage.

Also, thanks to Ellen for linking my review to this Billy Elliot Forum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP